Here’s an easy to prepare super healthy, inex-pensive curry for you to try. For a variation trying adding some eggplant, zucchini, potatoes, or whatever and enjoy a protein rich vegetarian meal.
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon paprika
½ tablespoon ground cumin
½ tablespoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 can chickpeas (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- Heat a little oil on medium and cook the onion and garlic for minute.
- Add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander – stirring a further minute.
- Stir in the chickpeas and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the garam masala.
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Serve with rice or Indian breads.
Garam masala is a blend of pepper, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, bay leaf and cumin. You’ll find it pre-mixed in most Asian grocery aisle.