In South America it’s called Pastel del Choclo. It’s full of different flavours and sure to become a dinner favourite.
½ small roast chicken, taken off the bone (roast it yourself or grab one from the supermarket)
1 onion, chopped
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cumin
pinch of cinnamon
6 olives with pimentos, quartered
2 tablespoons raisins
1 hardboiled egg, chopped
1½ cups corn kernels
¼ cup milk
¼ teaspoon sugar for topping
- Shred the chicken.
- Puree the corn and milk in a blender.
- Mix the paprika, cumin and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sauté the onion over medium heat for about two minutes.
- Add the chicken, olives and raisins and mix well with the onions.
- Add the egg and spice and again combine well and cook for two minutes.
- Transfer to a small casserole dish (or two single serve dishes) and spread the blended corn over the top.
- Sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake in a pre-heated 175°C oven for about 30 minutes.
- Finish off by placing under a grill for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with a salad and crusty bread.