Sweet Potato Hummus
Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip or spread popular all around the globe today. Traditionally hummus is prepared with chickpeas or other beans, but this recipe with sweet potatoes is pretty amazing and is a must on your “to try” list.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained (bu keep the liquid) and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Pierce holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Roast sweet potatoes in a 200°C preheated oven until soft, about 45 minutes.
- When cool. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out.
- Pulse blend garbanzo beans, sweet potato and olive oil to mash.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, coriander, white pepper, and sea salt to mixture; blend until smooth, adding reserved garbanzo bean liquid as needed to make a smooth, creamy hummus.
Serve with toasted pita or vegetable sticks.