Police Media: Warrnambool, Clifton Springs, Trafalgar

Police investigate death of Warrnambool man

23 May 2016 13:49

Police Victoria - WarrnamboolPolice are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a Warrnambool man following the discovery of a submerged car in a Warrnambool river last night.

Police and emergency services were called to Hopkins River following the discovery of the car, which is believed to have entered the water from Mahoneys Road, just after 8.30pm.

Local police, Search and Rescue and State Emergency Services personnel searched the area and located the body of a 46-year-old Warrnambool man in the water, approximately 500m east of the scene, about 12pm this afternoon.

Police are still on scene and are attempting to recover the car from the river.

The death is not being treated as suspicious and police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report to www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Man charged following historical sex assaults

23 May 2016

Central Gippsland Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team detectives have charged a man today following a number of alleged historical sexual assaults in Trafalgar in 2004.

A 57-year-old Trafalgar man was arrested yesterday and charged with rape, sexual assault, accessing online child exploitation material, possession of a firearm, possession of ammunition and drug offences.

He has been bailed to appear at Latrobe Valley Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, 26 May.

The investigation remains ongoing and police are appealing for anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at http://www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Man dies after Clifton Springs fire

Clifton Springs
22 May 2016 17:41

A 79-year-old man has died in hospital following a fire in Clifton Springs on Thursday night.

The fire occurred in Bunganowee Drive around 11.30pm.

A 45-year-old man has been charged with arson, aggravated burglary, conduct endangering life, recklessly cause serious injury and assault with a weapon.

He was remanded in custody to appear at Geelong Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.

Police are awaiting the results of a post mortem and the investigation into the incident continues.

My watch is three hours fast, and I can't fix it. So I'm going to move to New York.”
Steven Wright