Australians with disability will be supported to attend conferences across the country following $315,000 in Australian Government funding under the National Disability Conference Initiative.
Grants of up to $10,000 have been awarded to 35 eligible organisations to assist people with disability to participate in nationally focussed disability-related conferences.
Assistant Minister for Social Services and Disability Services, Jane Prentice said this is an important initiative to help break down barriers to inclusion and participation which people with disability sometimes face.
“The National Disability Conference Initiative grants will assist people with disability to participate in disability-related conferences about crucial issues affecting their lifetime wellbeing,” she said.
The grants can be used to assist with the costs of conference fees, accommodation and travel for people with disability and their carers.
Services such as Auslan interpreters; live captioning services, hearing loops, note-takers for people who are deaf and hearing impaired, and conference materials in a range of alternative formats such as Braille or larger font can also be covered.
The National Disability Conference Initiative also promotes the principles of the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020, supporting inclusive and accessible communities.
- Able Australia Services Camberwell, VIC
- Accessible Arts, NSW
- Angelman Syndrome Association Australia Incorporated Engadine, NSW
- Attendant Care Industry Association (Australia) Ltd, NSW
- AUS DOCC Inc, VIC
- Australian Aphasia Association in Milton, QLD
- Australian Blindness Forum, ACT
- Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association (ARATA), VIC
- Australian Tertiary Education Network on Disability (ATEND) Inc, TAS
- Autism West Support In Mosman Park, WA
- Brain Injury Australia Limited, NSW
- The Brook Recovery, Empowerment and Development Centre Inc, QLD
- The CHARGE Syndrome Association of Australasia Ltd, NSW
- Chromosome 18 Australasia, NSW
- Council on the Ageing (NSW) Inc
- Disability Employment Australia, Melbourne, VIC
- Dog Guide Handlers Australian (Inc), Heathridge, WA
- Griffith University Meadowbrook, QLD
- Immune Deficiencies Foundation of Australia Ltd, NSW
- L’Arche Australia Ltd, TAS
- Metabolic Dietary Disorders Association, VIC
- Multiple Sclerosis Australia, NSW
- The Myositis Association – Australian Incorporated, NSW
- Polio Australia Incorporated Kew, VIC
- Queensland Advocacy Inc, QLD
- The Richmond Fellowship of QLD
- Round Table for Information Access for People with Print Disabilities, TAS
- Senses Australia, WA
- Short Statured People of Australia, VIC
- Stepping Stone Clubhouse Inc, QLD
- Stroke Recovery Association Inc Putney, NSW
- University of Newcastle, NSW
- Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability Inc, VIC
- Vishva Hindu Parshad of Australia Inc, NSW
- Young People in Nursing Homes National Alliance, VIC.